Welcome To Our Blog!!!

Welcome To Our Blog!!!

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Top 7 Travel Tips for Mission Trips

 Top 7 Travel Tips for Mission Trips


So I’ll be going on my first mission trip to Africa in about 5 days! And I am super excited and still unable to grasp the concept that I will actually be another continent in just a few more days. But at the moment, I’m really excited about sharing all of the things that I’ve learned while preparing for my mission trip. So along the way, I have generated a list of tips that I’d like to share with any budding missionaries who are going on their first mission trip. So let’s get started!

Tip #1 Passport
Get your passport! I actually got my passport about a year ago because I was planning to go on a mission trip sooner. It can take up to 3 months to receive your passport so apply for it early. To start, you can call your local post office and set up an appointment, and they will assist you with getting your passport. You will need your birth certificate, among other things, and they will actually ship it along with your passport application. So don’t be alarmed when they take it from you. Personally, I felt like they were taking a piece of me and sending it cross country, but they sent it back as promised. It can take up to three months to receive your passport, but I received mine in about a month or so. So try putting ‘getting a passport’ at the top of your list so you can have it in plenty of time for the trip!

Tip #2 Visa
Find out if you need a visa for your trip. I’m going to Togo, Africa, so I needed to get a visa in order to be admitted into the country. I printed off a copy of the application online and filled it out. There was a $140 application fee. And for Togo, the website stated that it can take up to 90 days for them to process the application. Once again, I had to mail off something that I felt like has become a part of me, which in this case was my passport, so that they could include the visa on a blank page in my passport. I had to mail it along with a yellow fever certificate (I’ll get to that step next!) and a return self-addressed envelope so that they can send my passport back. Please send a copy of any required immunization certificates, as they do not send back the immunization shot certificate. My requirements may be different from yours for the visa, depending on the country you’re going to, so be sure to check out the website!

Tip #3 Shots
Find out if there are any required shots that you need to take for the trip. The yellow fever shot was required for my trip to Africa. The first tip I can suggest for any type of immunization shot is to build up your immune system before you get the shot. You can do so by eating fruit with antioxidants in it such as raspberries, blackberries, and blue berries. It’s also important to eat fruits that are high in citrus and Vitamin C such as oranges and grapefruits. You can also make Olive leaf tea from olive leaves that you can find on Amazon or ebay. Olive leaf tea is a powerful tea that give a boost to your immune system which helps you not to experience the side effects of an immunization shot. Another important food that can build up your immune system are leafy greens such as kale and raw seasonings such as basil and rosemary. Make sure you take your shot before sending your visa because you may be required to send a copy of it with your visa application. If you drink Olive Leaf Tea, don’t drink it after you get the shot for about two weeks. After two weeks or so, continue to build up your immune system by drinking olive leaf tea right before bed and you can even pack some to take with you to drink on your mission trip! In terms of the day of the shot, all I can say is that you should rely on God’s strength and claim II Tim 1:7. And when you go in for the shot the doctor recommended other shots and gave me various helpful tips that were enlightening. In order to get a shot, you can inquire and set up an appointment with your local Health Department or an Urgent Care Center.

Tip #4 List
Plan, plan, and plan some more! Creating a list makes planning for a mission trip really easy. If you don’t want to forget any pertinent items you should make a list. Personally, I consulted with my mom, my Sunday school teacher who is going on the mission trip with me and another lady who is attending, and I looked at how-to videos on youtube in order to generate a Master list that I have referred to several times while planning for this trip. It has made my various shopping trips easier and I have a list that I can add things to.

Tip #5 Fast
Designate some time (allow the Holy Spirit to lead you) to fast and pray about the mission trip. I have asked God to use everyone involved in a mighty way. To give us wisdom and protection during our travels. It’s important to build up your Spirit man before going on a mission trip so that you can be ready to be an effective witness for Christ. Seek to draw closer to God, during this time and focus your attention on the purposes of the mission trip. Also mediating on Psalm 91 is great way to draw closer to God and claim His promises for your life. You want your mind to be on the purpose of any Christian mission trip which is to do the work of the Lord that will bring glory and honor to the name of God.

Tip #6 International Calling (No pun intended!)
We all like to have a way to communicate with our family and friends from the states when we’re on a mission trip. If you’re like me, you’d like to give them updates and let them know how everything is going. I have a prepaid phone plan with Verizon, so I am unable to add international minutes to my phone, but if you have a contract phone you can add international minutes to your phone. It is something that you may have to qualify for, so check into having international minutes added to your phone prior to going on your trip. If you have a prepaid phone with Verizon, than your other option, like mine, (which I learned from the nice Verizon Customer Service Representative on the phone) is to buy a Sim card with an inexpensive phone from the airport once you’ve landed in the country of the mission trip.

Tip #7 Have fun!
Lastly, have fun! Planning doesn’t have to be stressful. Enjoy every step, and if you feel yourself getting stressed out, ask God to give you grace to enjoy the experience and help you to complete all of the preparations in a timely fashion. 

If you’re going on a mission trip this summer, I wish you God speed and I invite you to share any of your questions or comments in the comments section! I would love to hear about your trips/upcoming trips.

“Declare his glory among the heathen; his marvellous works among all nations.” 1 Chronicles 16:24

Written By:


 Photograpy by: Gopal Vijayaraghavan 
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

No comments:

Post a Comment