Welcome To Our Blog!!!

Welcome To Our Blog!!!

Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Application of Trust

The Application of Trust

Do you struggle in the area of trusting your emotions instead of trusting in the word of God? When God makes a promise to you, or reminds you of a promise in His word, do you trust him wholeheartedly?



         1.     The Problem
  Let’s look at our relationship with God from a paternal standpoint. When your dad promised you something as a child, did you doubt him? Or did you have full assurance in your mind that he was going to do exactly what he said he was going to do? I will say that I trusted my father no matter. But why is it, that so often, we distrust God’s promises? As the creator of the universe, He is more than capable of fulfilling his promises, but why aren’t we more trusting of his promises?

       2.  The Causes
  Let look at some probable causes of this lack of trust.

  A Dependence on Man Rather Than God
 The bible commands us not the put our trust in men. Most of us reside with other people, whether it’s other family members, a spouse, children, a roommate or friends. Or if you’re like me, you grew up a large family. And in a dynamic such as this, one can develop a dependency on people. I remember so many times when I should have went to God in a time of doubt, I sought out my family for assistance and complained about an unfulfilled promise in my life.  For example, when God promised me that I would obtain my teaching license and I reached a point of wanting to give up after experiencing set back upon set back, my Mom encouraged me to keep working towards my goal. But so often in life, we don’t have anyone available when we encounter a crisis of doubt. And God is always standing patiently by, waiting for us to reach out to him. We can grow such a dependence on man, rather than God, to the point where we trust in man more than we trust in God. Psalm 118:8 reads, “It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.” It is much better to trust in the Lord, than to gain a dependence on man, which can stifle your trust in God.

  Feeding Fears
 Another reason why we may not trust God may be because we are feeding our fears instead of feeding our faith. Have you ever noticed that if you concentrate on your doubts that they get bigger and bigger until it gets out of control and you find yourself worrying about one thing for most of the day? Well if we don’t cast down these doubts with the word of God, then they can overwhelm us. If you constantly feed your fears, then it will be hard to trust God. On the other hand, if we feed our faith, then there won’t be room for doubt. Isaiah 26:3 says, “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee; because he trusteth in thee.” And sometimes it’s not easy, but if we’re persistent with replacing our doubts with the word of God, then trust will win out. As a Christian, we must constantly seek ways to feed our faith. The primary way to feed our faith is reading and meditating on God’s word and allowing it to saturate our lives.

  Setbacks
  Sometimes when we are standing on God’s promises, we experience setbacks. Setbacks are probably one of the number one reasons why doubts tries to creep in. When my mom confirmed that I would obtain my teaching license, I was encouraged to keep pursuing my license, but it wasn't a smooth ride. I spent many hours looking for the courses that I needed to take in order to satisfy the requirements for my license. After hours and days and weeks and months of searching, I found a class that satisfied two of the requirements. Now after I experienced the first setback, I could have decided to doubt the promise of God, but we must continue to trust God in spite of setbacks that we face. Galatians 6:9 reads, “And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” 
 
  Abandonment
 Oftentimes when the rug is pulled out from under us, so to speak, from abandonment, we can experience the feeling of instability and all of a sudden mistrust and indecisiveness can rear its ugly head. In my own life, after I experienced a sudden loss, I begin to deal with indecisiveness and mistrust. Suddenly God's leading became unstable in MY mind and confusion broke loose. And unknowingly, I began to view God in a different light that is not supported by the word of God. A few years passed, as I slowly became an unreliable person who made promises that I ultimately never kept, due to the confusion that was plaguing my huge decisions in life. After about two years, I took a step back, at the caution of the sister, to take inventory and try to find out just what had set me on this indecisive tail spin. And I asked God to reveal to me just what had brought about this confusion. He showed me that the change started in my heart, after the loss that I experienced. Now I'm actively seeking to renew my mind with the word of God that focuses on the immutability of God. Such as Malachi 3:6, which states, "For I am the Lord, I change not.” And I realized just how much God loves me. He showed me that my relationship with Him is like that of a Father and daughter. He assured me that He is For me and not against me. And that His thoughts are precious towards me and that they are more in number than the small particles of sand on the beach!" (Psalm 139:17-18) God loves you too and wants to break the bonds of mistrust in your life.

 Emotion
Emotions are a strong entity. Emotions have led many astray, and can cause us as Christians to mistrust God's words. Emotions can be very misleading and will not always support God's promises. When we grow impatient, that doesn't mean that God's promises are any less true. When we feel confused, it doesn't mean God's promises concerning peace are any less true. Therefore, when we are standing on the promises of God, we must know which feelings to accept and which to cast down. C.S. Lewis captures this concept perfectly in the following quote, which reads, "Don't bother too much about feelings. When they are humble, loving, brave, give thanks for them; when they are conceited, selfish, cowardly, ask to have them altered. In neither case are they you, but only a thing that happens to you. What matters is your intentions and your behavior." So when God promises you something don't expect your feelings to follow obediently all the time. Stay active by casting down doubts or anything that doesn’t line up with the word of God. 2 Cor. 10:5

 II. The Solution
The solution is simple. Rely on God no matter what comes your way by applying His Word to every situation in your life and give every single burden over to Him.


"Casting all your care upon Him; for he careth for you." 1 Peter 5:7

                        Written By:


Photography
"Photo by Tom Tolkien"


No comments:

Post a Comment